In order to help explain Virtualization, we are going to use some information here straight from VMware, one of the largest Virtualization Software providers. PTA is a VMware Service Provider.
What is Virtualization?
Virtualization lets you run multiple virtual machines on a single physical machine, with each virtual machine sharing the resources of that one physical computer across multiple environments. Different virtual machines can run different operating systems and multiple applications on the same physical computer.
We could go into all the specifics about how the architecture works, but we feel it would be best for you to visit these sites for more information:
For some companies the use of Virtualization allows one large physical server to host several smaller servers. IT consultants and engineers have been faced with smaller companies needing the requirements of several special applications to run on one server. However, for many reasons including troubleshooting, conflicts, speed, and security, it is best to have more than one server on site.
Virtualization can also allow make virtual workstations available to staff, on site or remotely. These workstations can also reside on the same hardware as the server, and the user accesses these systems via remote access through a web browser or other software application. When a connection is made, the desktop experience for the user is just as if they were right in front of a completely different computer. In some cases this is used to install applications that the organization may have limited licensing for yet want to make available to all staff.
Virtualization is also much easier for IT staff to maintain. Server operating system changes, upgrades, updates, restoration, and many other administrative items are completed easier and in a more secure environment.
Other advantages include:
* Run multiple operating systems on a single computer including Windows, Linux and more
* Let your Mac run Windows creating a virtual PC environment for all your Windows applications
* Reduce capital costs by requiring less hardware and increasing energy efficiency
* Ensure your enterprise applications operate with the highest availability and performance
* Build up business continuity through improved disaster recovery solutions
* Improve enterprise desktop management and control with faster deployment of desktops
PTA uses VMware due to their vast resources, knowledge and experience. We feel there is no better. VMware is the market leader in virtualization.